Tuesday, September 22, 2009


Oh. My. Vishnu.

I was introduced this past weekend to a new vocalist: Matt Alber. I cannot say enough good things about him, about his voice, about his songs (in his debut album, "Hide Nothing").

The fifth song on the album is called "End of the World". Without exaggeration of any sort, I can honestly say that since I first heard the song on Sunday morning (and this is Tuesday morning), I have listened to it over and over about 100 times. Possibly more. I cannot keep myself from listening to it. I am sure that there are many reasons why. Possibly because barely two months have passed since I left a relationship of almost two years with someone I loved. Possibly because my heart aches at this loss, not to mention the loss of other boyfriends and good friends in my past. Possibly because I am feeling alone and a little adrift at this point in my life, and this song focuses that sorrow, distills it and pours it out in such lyrical phrases as "Don't you want to fall/ Don't you want to fly/ Don't you want to be dangled over the edge of this aching romance?" and "If it's gonna end then I want to know that we squeezed out every moment".

Truly heartbreaking. But in a good way, a reaffirming way. What is being reaffirmed, you ask? Love. The Pursuit of Happiness. Life.

Add me to the list of people who have fallen hopelessly in love with these songs. And - for a moment - with Matt Alber himself.

Check out his website and you can listen to the songs. www.mattalber.com/matt.htm

No comments: